BRP’s family of advanced 4-stroke engines gets a new member in the new 900 ACE Turbo. Fully designed and built by Rotax, this new turbo adds 55 horsepower to the ultra-efficient, reliable 900 ACE. The engineering teams were tasked with creating the best dynamic response, best in class fuel economy, optimal reliability and best cold starting capability – and they delivered again.
Rotax has developed turbo expertise in house that allows for specific engine and use designs, rather than broad-spectrum adaptations, for the best performance possible. The new Rotax 900 ACE Turbo pumps up to 12psi through a single throttle body with exceptional dynamic response and – key to turbos – almost zero lag. The latest Rotax powerplant comes to snowmobiling with 150 horsepower and stunning acceleration that will excite riders in the heart of the market. This new engine package delivers 25% better horsepower to weight numbers than the 1200 4-TEC engine and REV-XS chassis it replaces.
In addition, updated base engine components ensure this engine meets the demands of best-in-class power, as well as maintain industry-leading durability, and integrates with the new REV Gen4 platform. The 900 ACE Turbo when combined with the REV Gen4 chassis gives riders the benefits of 4-stroke durability with the thrill factor of a turbo charged engine – all wrapped up in a lightweight, highly responsive package that establishes new benchmarks in handling.
Key Features of the Rotax Turbocharger
* The 3-1 exhaust manifold with the turbine housing creates the shortest possible path to transfer exhaust energy into the turbine quickly.
* Rotax-engineered precision-milled compressor wheel for low inertia and high performance.
* Oil lubricated and water cooled for maximum durability.
* Low friction journal bearing system for best efficiency.
* Spins at up to 200,000 rpm (3,333 rotations per second).
* Small diameter, nickel alloy turbine with low inertia enables instant throttle response.
* Precisely balanced components ensure minimal vibration to maintain low noise level of the ACE engine.
* Shielded manifold validated to withstand temperatures of 980 degrees Celsius.
Key 900 ACE updates to incorporate Rotax Turbocharger
* A total of 24 engine components were changed or modified to adapt the base 900 ACE engine for the turbocharger application.
* Operating RPM is now up to 7750 from the 7250 of the naturally aspirated 900 ACE.
* Redesigned cast piston to lower compression ratio (from 12:1 to 9.2:1).
* Reinforced connecting rod.
* Reinforced crankshaft with wider connecting rod bearing.
* Larger water pump for more cooling.
* New fuel injector with higher capacity.
* Revised cylinder head for improved cooling.
* New oil pump and oil scavenger pump for increased oil flow.
* Oil cooling nozzle directed at bottom of piston.
* New exhaust valve, more heat resistant material for turbo application.
Want more articles and content like this? Subscribe to SnowTech Magazine and get all 5 issues delivered right to your door! Like our facebook page to keep up with us online.
You might also like:
2019 Polaris: Coupled Axys, Youth Evo, 850 Patriot
2019 Polaris 850 Patriot
New Model Preview on the 2019 Backcountry X-RS 850
More on the Rotax 900 ACE Turbo
2018.5 Ski-Doo MX Z 600R E-TEC – 500 Mile Test Report
2019 Polaris Indy EVO and EVO ES
Arctic Cat XF 6000 Cross Country Limited – 1,736 Mile Test
2017 Polaris Switchback SP 144? -1,331 Mile Test
2018 Ski-Doo Renegade Backcountry X 850 – 1,000 Mile Test Report
Custom Sled Build: 2017 Yamaha Sidewinder
Poor man’s Snowmobile GPS Solution